[GNC] dark theme on Linux

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 16:05:11 EDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 5:21 AM Michael via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> I have the following configuration: MX Linux 19.4 AHS, GnuCash 4.5, I
> have Adwaita-dark theme enabled by default in MX, when I start GNC, the
> buttons/menu has no dark theme enabled, tried the solution suggested in
> this post <cid:part1.CD5676F6.DD59D71C at yahoo.com>, still doesn't work,
> how can I enable dark theme in GNC? Please see the attached screenshot.

This likely isn't what you're looking for, but I thought I would chime in.
I fought with dark themes for a while, but could never get every single
application and website to "dark mode". Even if I could, I don't want to
spend that much time configuring everything, and there are always little
problems like unreadable hard-coded black text on a "themed" dark
background. I decided to go about the problem in a different way. A more
general approach is xrandr-invert-colors. I have super-m mapped to toggle
the inversion of all my screens, and other similar convenient mappings to
toggle the inversion of one screen or the other (xrandr-invert-colors -s
<screen number>). I change the inversion when I need to see a video,
picture, or accurate coloration, but it has been a wonderful solution for
me.

Microsoft Windows users can get https://zerowidthjoiner.net/negativescreen
which, as I remember, uses the magnifying glass accessibility API to
preprocess the pixel colors through a matrix that can preserve the hue of
each color while modifying its brightness, so bright red -> dark red,
bright blue -> dark blue, etc. (White->black is a byproduct of those
transformations.) I don't know of anything this flexible for X or Wayland,
but I haven't seriously looked.

So far I haven't found any software that doesn't have a "bright" theme
(ardour still has one besides its many dark themes!), and sometimes there
are web pages that use a dark theme, so I un-invert the screen and
experience the intended dark theme.

Yours,
Aaron